Thursday, January 6, 2011

Two of my Favorite Words: Cheap & Free ::Thrifty Thursday::


It's time for another installment of Thrifty Thursday.  The day of the week when I take all of the advice I've gleaned during the week , reduce it to only the finest, and share it with all of you.


WHAT I FOUND:  The holidays are over.  Your wallet is thinner and your are decidely not.  So you need:  Cheap Diet Dinners!  At $3 or less per serving, you can afford to feed the whole family a healthy meal, instead of feeling like a short-order cook making one thing for th ekids, one for the hubby and one for you.  (That reminds me, anyone catch this week's episode of the middle?)  WHAT I'M USING IT FOR:  This recipe for three bean & barley soup.  The Mr. of the house has been requesting something barley, so it's been bound to hit the menu.  Look for it in the coming weeks!

WHAT I FOUND:  Something that's been on all our minds, in some form of another, since at least 11:30 on New Year's Eve:  The Foolproof Trick to Keeping Your Resolutions.  Well, that's what the title of the article anyway, but what we've got is great dieas for making small changes toward 4 popular resolutions.  WHAT I'M USING IT FOR:  Sleep!  I don't know if it was a resolution of mine exactly, but I know I need to be better about getting it.  It's crazy how much I watch TV before bed.  Or read blogs, Facebook or email.  I'm not sure when I'll tackle this monster, but it will be soon!

WHAT I FOUND:  So you want to lose a few pounds (or more), but don't want to make drastic changes.  We're told that to lose a pound a week we need a calorie deficit of 3500, or 500 per day.  That means we either need to excercise enough to burn 500 more, eat 500 less, or a little of both.  Enter:  Simple Ways to Cut 500 Calories  WHAT I'M USING IT FOR:  I'm going to tackle the at work and Saturday strategies.  I really like th idea of standing more at work (and I have the option) and I'll use any excuse to sleep in a little on the weekend. 



WHAT I FOUND:  Weight Watchers' new program, Points Plus!  Okay, it's not brand new, but I just started it all over again (and it is only about a month old).  Sure, you have to be a subscriber to get the full scoop, but I had to make this my find of the week.  Because fruit is FREE!  That's pretty much the best gift ever.  Thanks Weight Watchers Powers That Be (WWPTB) WHAT I'M USING IT FOR:  A reason to eat bananas again!  And to make fruit my go to snack when hunger strikes. 

What tips and tricks have you found this week? 



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't comment on your "about section"!

Anyway, I had the exact same wake-up call, although it wasn't all in one night. I cried every time I tried to get dressed up cute for at least a year before I finally got serious and lost weight.

I'm still way too far from goal, but I at least lost enough that I don't end up a mass of tears almost every day over clothes. And I love shopping again!

-- Renee

Anonymous said...

I can't comment on your "about section"!

Anyway, I had the exact same wake-up call, although it wasn't all in one night. I cried every time I tried to get dressed up cute for at least a year before I finally got serious and lost weight.

I'm still way too far from goal, but I at least lost enough that I don't end up a mass of tears almost every day over clothes. And I love shopping again!

-- Renee

Netters said...

Hey you - I have a great Beef and Barley soup recipe. Seriously - OUT OF THIS WORLD tasty and low low low in fat. Let me know if you want to try it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...