Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tuna Puttanesca ::Recipe Review::

I hate spring colds.

Especially the ones that start in your throat, stuff up your nose and then move on to your ears.  I know that's what I have because just now, I was blowing my nose when my ear made a strange sound.  Not exactly a pop - more of a squeak.  Yes, my ear squeaked.  And I've sneezed about 264 times today. 

I won't let that be an excuse today though, I will still bring you a recipe review.  I don't have pictures, but it has nothing to do with my cold.

In other news:  I've finally gotten on board with planning my weekly menu.  It's been fantastic!  Merv even does the grocery shopping some weeks because it's so easy for him.  His only request is that I plan more red meat so we can "shop our freezer" instead of the meat counter.  So on the menu last night was:

Tuna Puttanesca
(that also happens to be the recipe for review, in case you didn't know where I was going)

Ingredients:
14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes

10 oz water-packed tuna fish, drained, solid, white
1/2 cup(s) fat-free Italian salad dressing
8 large olive(s), black, pitted and chopped
1 Tbsp basil, fresh, chopped
1 medium garlic clove(s), minced
1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
4 cup(s) cooked fettucine, kept hot

Directions
In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients except pasta.Bring to boil; simmer 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.


Serve over hot fettuccine. Yields about 1 cup sauce and 1 cup pasta per serving.

I found this little gem in the stack of Weight Watchers recipes I have accumulated over the years I've been a member. It was inexpensive, easy and delicious. To be honest, I used canned chopped olives and minced garlic from a jar to save time.  Hey I told you I have a cold.  I need my sleep! and I need to watch Dancing With the Stars.  The aroma while this was cooking was amazing.  It even out-did the smell of paint fumes coming from the basement.  And when I scopped a bite of it into my mouth, the flavors came through vividly (even with a stuffed up nose).  The salty taste of this combination was great, but not overwhelming.  Of course, salt it my weakness, so maybe a mortal normal person would want to leave the added salt out when trying it for the first time.  Truly the recipe was a keeper.
Okay, enough of this poorly written disjointed post, I think it's time for more cold medicine.  Anyone know if it's a good idea to do a 55 minute cardio class with a head cold?




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...