Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What to Eat When You're Stressed

What is the best food to eat when you’re stressed? If you’re like me you already know the answer to this question and chocolate is probably in your top three. If I’m talking about what I prefer during high-stress situations, the list would include:
  1. Chocolate (of course)
  2. Wine
  3. Cookies
  4. Potato Chips
  5. anything smothered in cheese.


Unfortunately, I've been craving these things like crazy because stress has come to be my house guest, I found the one way ticket stub and the suitcases are starting to gather dust. (Let me just say that I’m still new to this sharing thing and not sure how much of my personal life to publish) It started when Merv decided to change jobs. We both believe it will be a move to better things and I believe he will be successful. The hours are long right now though and his stress level has gone up (understandably). That of course effects many parts of our lives ranging from the amount of time we spend together to who folds the laundry. I signed up for this support team though (I’m thinking of making shirts for me, his kids and his family) so I don’t mind the changes, but I can’t deny the fact that stress comes along with it.

Two nights ago, we had a long overdue discussion that has since added to our stress. The discussion in question was whether or not we would have children. Brief history: 1:We have both been married before, he has kids, I have none. 2: He’s more than 10 years older than me. During the more than two years we’ve been dating, the topic of having children together has come up, but we always talked about it in abstract without being completely solid in our answers. Of course I always heard the things he said with emphasis on anything indicating he wanted more children. I’m sure he heard the things I said through a filter that told him I wanted none. After hitting on this subject for more than a month now, we decided it was time to make the hard decisions and be honest. Bottom line, he doesn’t think he wants any more children. He has his reasons and I respect them. Now I’m left with two heartbreaking decisions: a future with him and no kids, or one without him but the possibility of kids. Let’s face it, there’s no sure thing in life. Okay, that’s a heavy topic, but hey – it’s life. We’re not giving up though; we’re still talking through each other’s fears and motivations. We’re still discovering where we want to go.

In the meantime, between this discussion, the new job, and my increasingly full schedule I need to know what to eat while I’m stressed! I found this article with 9 food that help reduce stress.  That said, I may just have to try these two recipes in the next few days:

Cobb Salad with Flaxseed Oil Dressing

Ingredients
2 Tbsp water
4 tsp flaxseed oil
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp minced garlic
4 cup(s) mixed baby greens, baby arugula blend suggested
4 oz cooked skinless light meat turkey, thinly sliced
1 cup(s) cucumber(s), diced
1 cup(s) grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 medium avocado, Hass, ripe, sliced
2 item(s) whole hard-boiled egg(s), diced
1/2 cup(s) scallion(s), sliced

Instructions
In a small bowl, whisk together water, oil, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and garlic until blended.

Divide greens among 4 shallow bowls. Top each bowl with 1/4 of turkey, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, egg and scallions. Drizzle each with about 1 tablespoon of dressing and serve.

Turkey Bagel-Sandwich with Avocado and Green Apple
Ingredients
2Tbsp Weight Watchers Reduced Fat Whipped Cream Cheese Spread
1 item(s) Weight Watchers Original Bagel, lightly toasted and halved
2 oz turkey breast lunch meat (3 1/2-inch square), reduced-sodium, thinly sliced
1/8 small Granny Smith apple(s), unpeeled (2 thin slices)
1/8 medium avocado, ripe (3 thin slices)

Instructions
Spread cream cheese evenly over both sides of toasted bagel. Layer turkey, apple and avocado onto bottom half of bagel. Top with remaining bagel half, wrap securely with plastic wrap, and take it with you. Yields 1 serving.


© 2010 Weight Watchers International, Inc. © 2010 WeightWatchers.com, Inc. All rights reserved.
WEIGHT WATCHERS and POINTS are the registered trademarks of Weight Watchers International, Inc. and are used under license by WeightWatchers.com, Inc 




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...