Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Hunter Style Chicken [Recipe Review]

Okay.  I'm trying to get back on schedule, so I fully intend to review a recipe today for "Tried It Tuesday."  Eventually I hope to review other things on Tuesdays, but for now - you get food. 

Let's start with a "me" update though.  I hauled myself to the Pain Terrorist   Personal Torturist  Physical Therapist today.  I thought it was going to be a quick initial consultation, but ended up staying there an hour and a half.  We stretched the leg.  We flexed the leg.  We tested hip strength.  We noted my over-pronating feet and high arches.  We even touched on my bad posture and why I have headaches that make me want to stay in bed.  Contrary to my assumptions, he actually doesn't want to hurt me.  Actually, he would only perform a move once he knew it was pain free.  I guess he figures I won't do the stuff that hurts.  And even if I do my body will fight it all along the way and won't remember what's it's like to move without pain or hesitation.  I think we're off to a good start. 

I also liked the way he asked me if there was anything work related that I felt like I couldn't do because of my injury.  I felt like he was opening it up to me to say I couldn't help customers who were grumpy or service the ATM on cold days, which was pretty nice.  Since anything I could come up with would likely not be as bad as the exercises required to get better, I told him work was fine.  Now if only housework was in the realm of things he from which he could excuse me.

Now for the promised review.  Hey Ang, remember mentioning that you would like to hear more about this "Hunter Style" Chicken I had on the menu.  Maybe I should have pointed out at the time that it's more well known as Chicken Cacciatore.  Keep in mind, this is a Weight Watchers dish, so any changes you notice have more to do with that than a change in the name. 

Hunter-Style Chicken (Chicken Cacciatore)

Serves 8. 5 Points Plus Value per serving.
1 serving is 1 piece of chicken with scant 1/2 c. vegs and sauce.
1 (2 1/2 to 3) pound chicken cut into 8 pieces
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 tsp EVOO
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, pressed
2 assorted colors bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 (1 pint) container refrigerated fresh tomato pasta sauce

Sprinkle chicken with S and P. Heat 2 tsp oil.
 
Cook chicken on Med-high until browned, about 3-4 min on each side.
Remove chicken and set aside. Heat remaining oil in same pan.
Cook onion and garlic over med-high until softened about 3 minutes.
Add peppers, mushrooms, and celery. Cook until softened, about 5-6 min.
Return chicken to pan. Add the pasta sauce and stir to coat. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, covered until chicken is cooked through and vegs are tender, about 20 min.


I served this over rice but you could use noodles or just serve plain. 
My review?  Perfect.  Tastes amazing, super easy to make and well worth the points plus value (or calorie value to most of you)  This is definitely going into regular rotation.  Plus how great is it that so many of these healthy ingredients are probably in your kitchen right now?



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...