Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Surviving the Super Bowl (in so many ways)

Good day sunshine! We finally have a sunny day here in eastern Iowa. The wind is still blowing around the bit of snow we received yesterday, and at last check the wind chill was below 0, but seeing that lemon-yellow ball in the sky makes it all more tolerable.
I had a great week last week staying on track. I even allowed myself to have some fun with the girls for a late evening get together where I shared some chips & salsa and light beer. Then the weekend came…

We’re a Vikings house. I don’t know if you heard, but there was a pretty big game for the Vikings over the weekend. Now I’m not here to talk about the disappointing performance (but if we hadn’t had 5 turnovers, and if the O-line hadn’t let Farve get hit something like 15 times, I think I’d be planning a Super Bowl Party), but I am here to talk about the food, drinks and full afternoon of couch potato state that I faced on Sunday. Basically, I’m talking about a Football Party gone wrong halfway right actually.

I had a variety of food that I prepared myself so I could keep track of the Points™ Value more accurately. Included in the fare were Chicken Drumsticks (in place of wings), homemade meatballs in BBQ sauce, Tortilla Chips (both baked and regular) with homemade salsa, make your own sandwiches, a vegetable platter and both Rice-Krispy treats and scotcharoos. I avoided snacking while cooking by sipping a glass of red wine and then water all afternoon. During the game, I alternated my light beer with water again, and stuck to the chicken, chips & salsa and veggies.

I’d like to share a couple of the recipes I used, including one of the dipping sauces for the chicken (the others were store bought BBQ & Hot Wing Sauce)


Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce:
Serves 4
Taken from the a recipe for Honey-Mustard Roasted Salmon Weight Watchers subscribers only)
POINTS™ Value: 1
1/4 cup(s) Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp dry mustard, hot-variety
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Whisk together all ingredients and serve over fish, chicken or pork or as a dipping sauce on the side.


(Light and) Tasty Baked MeatballsServes 6
Original recipe from AllRecipes.com
Original POINTS™:16
Lightened POINTS™:12

3 pounds extra-lean ground beef or turkey
1 1/2 cups Italian-seasoned dry bread crumbs
1 (10.5 ounce) can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup
3 eggs whites, lightly beaten
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix

Directions:

1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil and lightly grease.
2. Mix together the ground beef, bread crumbs, cream of mushroom soup, egg white, Parmesan cheese, and onion soup mix. Shape the mixture into balls about the size of a golf ball. Arrange on the prepared baking sheets.
3. Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 30 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).

Yeilds approx. 36 meatballs.

I lightened the original recipe by using 93% lean or higher ground beef, reduced fat soup and egg whites over whole eggs. This recipe freezes well, so make a bunch. I thought I’d have some to freeze when I made over 100 meatballs, but we were left with just enough to fill a 2 cup container for leftovers this week (sandwiches boys!)
Finally, I’ve dug around my archives and found someone else’s advice on getting through big game days. I’m sure all of you who actually plan to celebrate the Super Bowl will find the information useful. I, on the other hand, will still be watching for the commercials so even though I may be less glued to the couch/television, I still may need a few tips of my own:

I like the tips for those hosting here: AssociatedContent and here: Fitness Magazine and for the guest here: eHow.com. There’s a great selection of more recipes here: eatingwell.com

2 comments:

Netters said...

Speaking of Superbowl fare, I have a wonderful recipe for low-fat Buffalo "wings". I use Chicken breasts that I chunk up and cook (seasoned), some Frank's Hot Sauce and a little bit of "light" butter. Really good! If you like the Boneless Buffalo Wings, you would like this recipe. Plus, it makes a wonderful Chili's-inspired Buffalo Chicken Salad with any leftovers: Romaine or spinach, topped with the chicken, chopped peppers, green onions, cilantro (and I even like to throw a few black beans over top). Dressing of choice is some light ranch. Really good!

Marcy said...

This sounds excellent. Thanks for the tip (and for stopping by my blog) =]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...